- YOUR HVAC SYSTEM CAN BE DESCRIBED AS “VINTAGE”. If your heat pump or air conditioner is more than 10 years old it’s approaching the end of its useful life. While some units hang on for years, replacing an older unit with one that’s ENERGY STAR rated can save up to 20 percent on heating and cooling costs. If your furnace is more than 15 years old, it’s time to think about replacing it with an ENERGY STAR qualified furnace or, even better, an efficient heat pump that can also reduce your cooling cost.
- YOUR HVAC SYSTEM ISN’T KEEPING UP WITH YOUR HEATING AND COOLING NEEDS. HVAC equipment gets less efficient as it ages…this can increase your energy costs and decrease your comfort.
- YOUR EQUIPMENT HAS NEEDED SEVERAL REPAIRS RECENTLY OR YOU’RE FACING THE COST OF REPLACING A MAJOR COMPONENT LIKE A COMPRESSOR. It often makes more sense to replace your equipment with a new high-efficiency unit that can reduce your energy bills.
- YOUR HOME’S AIR IS TOO HUMID OR TOO DRY. Inadequate equipment or leaky duct work can cause the air to be too dry in the winter or too humid in the summer.
- YOU NEED TO DUST MORE OFTEN EVEN THOUGH YOU CHANGE THE HVAC SYSTEM FILTER(S) REGULARLY. Ductwork can also deteriorate over time. Leaky ducts pull particles from attics and crawl spaces and circulate them throughout your house. In addition, ductwork may get accidentally damaged or the joints may need sealing.
- YOUR HEATING OR COOLING SYSTEM IS NOISY. Noise can indicate developing mechanical problems or undersized ductwork.
- YOU’RE ADDING ON TO YOUR HOME. Your heating and cooling unit may not be large enough to handle the extra workload and the duct system may need redesigning. If you suspect it’s time to replace your equipment, schedule a visit from a certified HVAC contractor to discuss your options.
Members who install an ENERGY STAR rated electric central AC, air-to-air heat pump, or a geothermal heat pump are eligible for a heating and cooling rebate from JOEMC of up to $350. Click here for more details.