With summer weather comes summer storms. And with summer storms comes lightning and thunder. Do you know what to do if you get caught in a storm?
When Thunder Roars, Go Indoors!
Seek shelter indoors or in a hard-topped vehicle. If you can’t get to a shelter:
- avoid open fields and hilltops.
- stay away from tall, isolated trees and objects.
- spread out (if you are in a group).
Shocking Facts About Lightning
- There are 25 million cloud-to-ground lightning flashes annually in the U.S..
- Every year, 300 Americans are struck by lightning.
- Of those struck, 30 are killed, and others suffer lifelong disabilities.
Did You Know?
- All thunderstorms produce lightning.
- Lightning often strikes outside the area of heavy rain and can strike as far as 10 miles from any rainfall.
- If you hear thunder, you’re in the danger zone.