Keep strands of sparkling lights out of reach of your pets. Cats and dogs may be tempted to chew on or play with decorative light strands, which could give them a potentially life-threatening electrical shock if they bite through the wire. The sparkly tree decorations and tinsel can also cause problems if ingested.

 

Additional safety tips for your pets include:

  • Though the excitement of a party may overwhelm some pets, keep your pets inside during cold weather and provide plenty of toys to keep them busy.
  • If needed, provide your cat or dog with a quiet room or crate during holiday parties and/or prepare ahead of time to discourage barking.
  • Inform your visitors ahead of time that you have a pet.

 

Skip the table scrap snacks: Foods not to feed pets

  • Bones: Bones easily splinter and can cause serious health problems (even death) for your pet.
  • Candy: Particularly chocolate—which is toxic to dogs, cats and ferrets—and any candy containing the toxic sweetener Xylitol.
  • Citrus and pits: Keep foods containing citric acid away from your pets. Foods such as cherry pits, peach pits and apple seeds contain essential oils that have the ability to cause irritations and even central nervous system depression if a significant amount is ingested.
  • Coffee: Grounds, beans and chocolate-covered espresso beans.
  • Eggs (raw)
  • Grapes and raisins: These can cause kidney problems.
  • Leaves and stems: From vegetables like tomatoes.
  • Nuts, Onions, and Salt
  • Trash: Pets who engage in trash-digging can accidentally eat foods that are potentially poisonous to them. Keep trash hidden somewhere your pet can’t access.