JOEMC is committed to helping you use energy wisely this holiday season. Here are some simple ways you can be merry, bright and energy-efficient:
- Consider using LED lights to decorate instead of incandescent bulbs. LEDs use less energy and last longer.
- Set holiday lights on automatic timers to minimize the time lights stay on overnight and during the day.
- Use your kitchen appliances efficiently. Run your dishwasher with full loads and opt for the air-dry setting. Don’t preheat the oven when cooking large pieces of meat. Try baking multiple dishes in the oven at the same time, and use a Crockpot rather than your electric oven when you can.
- Seal cracks around windows and insulate exposed pipes to keep heat in your home and money in your wallet.
- Turn down the thermostat. Home heating is often one of the highest energy expenses for families. Cutting back on the heat, especially when you have a houseful of guests, could save you a lot this winter.