INSIDE THE HOME:

  • Electrical outlets should not be overloaded. Too many items plugged into one outlet create a serious fire hazard.
  • If there are children in the house, be sure that all electrical outlets have safety covers. A child sticking any item into an electrical socket can be seriously hurt.
  • When unplugging an appliance, pull by the plug, not the cord.
  • Never remove the ground pin (the third prong) to make a three-prong plug fit a two-prong outlet.
  • Make sure extension cords are properly rated for their intended use, indoor or outdoor, and meet or exceed the power needs of the appliance or tool being used. Never run extension cords under rugs or carpet; cords can overheat and cause a fire.

OUTSIDE THE HOME:

  • Stay away from downed power lines—assume they are “live” and therefore dangerous. Call JOEMC immediately.
  • Be sure to have underground utility lines located before you begin your outdoor chores by dialing 811.
  • If your power is out and your emergency situation requires the use of a generator, notify Jones-Onslow EMC and have a qualified, licensed electrician connect the generator to your home’s main electrical supply. If a generator is not installed properly, power from the unit can backfeed along power lines and electrocute anyone who comes into contact with them.

Most deaths and injuries associated with electricity could be avoided — address hazards around the home and save lives and reduce injuries.