Keep these tips in mind to protect you and your family when winter weather comes your way:
- Place space heaters on a solid surface at least three feet away from anything flammable. Always turn off space heaters before leaving the room or going to sleep.
- Prevent your pipes from freezing by allowing faucets to drip during extreme cold.
- Never leave a fireplace unless its ashes are completely extinguished, and use a fire screen to catch sparks and rolling logs.
- Generators should only be used in open and ventilated areas and should never be operated inside a home, including in a basement or garage, due
to the risk of carbon monoxide fumes. Never connect generators directly to household wiring without first having a qualified electrician install a transfer switch to prevent back feeding, which poses a serious threat to line workers.
- Stay away from downed or sagging power lines and don’t attempt to remove tree limbs from lines. Never drive over power lines and always assume
they are electrified and dangerous. Alert your electric cooperative of any damaged lines immediately.