Lights and appliances turn on with the simple flip of a switch and, most of the time, customers don’t think about how electricity reaches the home — that means we are doing our job. Besides making sure your home has all the power it needs, whenever it needs it, we also want to help you use it safely.
INSIDE THE HOME:
- Electrical outlets should not be overloaded. Too many items plugged into one outlet create a serious fire hazard.
- If there are children in the house, be sure that all electrical outlets have safety covers. A child sticking any item into an electrical socket can be seriously hurt.
- When unplugging an appliance, pull by the plug, not the cord.
- Never remove the ground pin to make a three-prong plug fit a two-prong outlet.
- Make sure extension cords are properly rated for their intended use, indoor or outdoor, and meet or exceed the power needs of the appliance or tool being used. Never run extension cords under rugs or carpet; cords can overheat and cause a fire.
OUTSIDE THE HOME:
- Stay away from downed power lines—assume they are “live” and therefore dangerous.
- Be sure to have underground utility lines located by dialing 811 before you begin your outdoor digging.
- If your power is out and your emergency situ-ation requires the use of a generator, notify JOEMC and have a qualified, licensed electri-cian connect the generator to your home’s main electrical supply. If a generator is not installed properly, power from the unit can backfeed along power lines and electrocute anyone who comes into contact with them.
Most deaths and injuries associated with electricity could be avoided — address hazards around the home and save lives and reduce injuries.