Change Text Size:
As an electric cooperative, Jones-Onslow EMC is proud to be a partner with the communities we serve.
Electric Cooperatives Are…
- Private independent electric utility businesses
- Incorporated under the laws of the states in which they operate
- Established to provided at-cost electric service
- Owned by the consumers they serve
- Governed by a board of directors elected from the membership from the membership,
which sets policies and procedures that re implemented by the cooperatives’ professional
- Most electric co-ops are distribution cooperatives that deliver electricity
to the consumer. Some are generation and transmission cooperatives (G&Ts)
that both generate and transmit electricity to meet the power needs of distribution
- In addition to electric service, many electric co-ops are involved in community
development and revitalization projects, e.g., small business development
and job creation, improvement of water and sewer systems, and assistance
in delivery of health care and educational services.